Manchester United v Fulham
Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester
KO: 20:00 (GMT), Monday 26th March 2012
Referee: Michael Oliver
By Paul Bienkowski
After the 5-0 away win against Wolves last Sunday, Manchester United topped the Barclays Premier League table with a 4 point cushion over rivals Manchester City, who were to play Chelsea midweek. United for the first time that I can remember, scored 5 goals without Wayne Rooney getting his name on the score sheet. United’s goal scorers were; Johnny Evans, who scored his first league goal for United, Antonio Valencia, Danny Welbeck and two from Javier Hernandez.
Since Manchester City defeated Chelsea 2-1 on Wednesday, United only have a 1 point lead at the top of the Premiership, but with City away at Stoke before they play Fulham, they might find themselves in a must win position on Monday. Stoke has always been a hard stadium to play at, and let’s hope the Potters can do United a favour.
Now for Fulham! United last played them on 21st December 2011 at Craven Cottage, beating them 5-0 with goals from Danny Welbeck, Luis Nani, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney & Dimitar Berbatov.
Fulham are currently 12th in the league table, which is considered relatively safe from relegation for the time being, but they will have all to play for as they qualified for the UEFA Europa League last season after finishing 8th, which I am sure they would like to improve on this season.
Fulham last won a league game, two games ago beating Wolverhampton Wanderers 5-0 with Pavel Pogrebnyak scoring a hatrick. I consider Pogrebnyak, Ruiz & Dempsey to be the danger men for Fulham.
I believe United will win on Monday evening, taking 3 points, but I am sure it will not be as comfortable as the last time they played Fulham at Craven Cottage.
Match Facts – Manchester United
- Last 10 league games form – WWWWWDWWWL
- Last 5 Home League games form – WWWWL
- United have scored 24 goals and conceded 10 in their last 10 league games
- United have scored 27 goals against Fulham at Old Trafford since 19th August 2001
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored the most goals against Fulham at Old Trafford 6, Wayne Rooney & Ruud van Nistelrooy scored 5 goals each.
- Manchester United Top Scorer – Wayne Rooney 20 goals
Match Facts – Fulham
- Last 10 league games form – LLWWWLDWLW
- Last 5 Away League games form – LWLLD
- The last time Fulham won at Old Trafford was 25th October 2003, the score 3-1
- Fulham have scored 8 goals at Old Trafford since 19th August 2001
- Fulham Top Scorer – Clint Dempsey 12 goals
Team News – Manchester United
De Gea, Amos, Rafael, Fabio, Fryers, Evra, Smalling, Jones, Ferdinand, Evans, Carrick, Cleverley, Scholes, Giggs, Park, Pogba, Young, Valencia, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Berbatov
Injuries: Vidic, Anderson, Fletcher, Lindegaard, Nani, Owen
Team News – Fulham
Schwarzer, Etheridge, Stockdale, Kelly, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise, Baird, Kasami, Ruiz, Dembele, Diarra, Gecov, Murphy, Duff, B H Riise, Dempsey, Hughes, Ethhu, Johnson, Frei, Pogrebnyak, Halliche
Injuries: Sidwell, Orlando Sa, Grygera
By Paul Bienkowski