Spanish journalist Guillem Balague has confirmed Paul Pogba will join Manchester United this summer.
The fee for the 23-year-old French midfielder is expected to be within the region of £100m, smashing the world transfer record set by Gareth Bale’s move to Real Madrid in 2013.
Real Madrid, who had also approached Pogba, reportedly dropped their interest last week due to the Frenchman’s astronomical fee, leaving Man United unrivalled in the pursuit of his signature.
Balague insisted it was a matter of ‘when’ and not ‘if’ Pogba would join Man United.
“He is going to Manchester United,” he said.
“Jose Mourinho was very insistent that was the case because he wants that kind of midfielder. He’s always been linked to those types of midfielders who can cover so much ground, who are physical and strong, and he wanted Pogba.
“He wanted the four guys that he got actually.”
— Daniel Feliciano (@dmf180593) July 11, 2016
The swift capture of Pogba – staving off Madrid in the process – resembles further evidence of Mourinho getting business done ruthlessly and effectively.
He stated he would make four ‘fundamental’ additions to the squad. With Pogba allegedly now joining Eric Bailly, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Henrikh Mkhitaryan as Mourinho’s fourth capture, the 53-year-old what he has said.
While some may question Pogba’s nine-figure fee, at 23, the Frenchman – already the focal point of Juventus and France’s midfield – will only improve, and could very well cement himself as one of the world’s best in the coming years.