We’ve written earlier in November about how Jose Mourinho was eyeing a deal for Tottenham Toby Alderweireld after watching the Belgian team compete during the international break. Now, it turns out Mourinho has been given permission to sign the Spurs defender already in January, as reported by the Sun. He is considered one of the best centre-backs in Europe, and therefore, a very solid potential acquisition for Manchester United.
The New Acquisition
If you are into online betting on football games played by the team, you should definitely keep an eye on how the odds evolve as a result. You can either make bets for various sports events or can benefit from the best bonuses from New Zealand casinos, which are less strictly regulated /restricted than the ones in the UK and still offer a great variety of games, like slot machines, card games, etc.
The contract with Alderweireld is bound to expire next year with the Tottenham being able to extend it for one more year. This would, however, come with a £25 million release clause for the last two weeks of the transfer window (in summer). Thus, it is perfectly possible that Spurs may be letting Alderweireld go in January if an attractive offer is made.
Although, a more desired player, Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly seems too an expensive acquisition at about £90 million. By contrast, Alderweireld is just two years older and according to Sun’s report, Mourinho hopes it is possible to get him for approximately £40 million. This intent seems to be approved by Ed Woodward (Man United executive vice chairman) and by Jorge Mendes – Mourinho’s agent.
Toby is 29 years old and is seen as a promising candidate to improve the Premier League position of the team but also to participate in the Champions League (the knockout stages). Although chiefly playing as a central defender, at times, he was also used as a right back. His career started at Ajax (a Dutch club), where he won three consecutive Eredivisie titles (Eredivisie is the highest echelon of Netherlands’ professional football).
In 2013 he went to Atletico Madrid – here we won La Liga and even reached the UEFA Champions League final in his very first season. In total, he has earned over 80 caps for Belgium participating in such major events as the 2014 and 2018 FIFA World Cups and UEFA Euro 2016. As mentioned, his current team is Tottenham Hotspur (number 4) – while playing for the team, he had 91 league appearances and 5 league goals.
A detailed record of earned Honours as a member of various teams is presented below:
- Eredivisie (from 2010 up to 2013);
- KNVB Cup in 2009-2010 (KNVB is a competition organized by the Royal Dutch Football Association);
- Johan Cruyff Shield in 2013 (a football trophy in the Netherlands);
- La Liga in 2013-1014 (the highest professional football division in the Spanish football league system);
- runner-up in the UEFA Champions League 2013-2014;
- third place at FIFA World Cup in 2018.
As for individual awards, these are as follows:
- The talent of the Year in 2010 (at Ajax);
- PFA Team of the Year (the Premier League of 2015-2016) – an annual award by the Professional Footballers’ Association offered to 55 male players in the top four tiers of English football;
- A squad of the Season in UEFA Europa League 2015-2016;
- Player of the Year in 2015-2016 at Tottenham Hotspur;
- 100 appearances at the Premier League Milestones Award.
Judging by his prolific and steady record, it seems Toby Alderweireld has a good potential and can bring the necessary contribution to Man United in the upcoming challenges.