Published on July 9th, 2013 | by samp2
Barcelona expecting Thiago to continue as usual with club
Barcelona fully expect Thiago Alcantara to join up with the squad for pre-season training next week despite mounting speculation about his future.
The 22-year-old’s future has been the subject of huge interest since Spain won the U21 European Championships with Manchester United touted as his likely destination.
Daily headlines from Spanish newspapers suggest a move to United will happen this week despite nothing being officially announced by either club or player.
But Barcelona spokesman Toni Freixa has confirmed that the club expects Thiago to be part of pre-season training that starts on Monday.
“We have the players we have. Thiago is one of those and he’ll start pre-season with the team as expected,” he told Radio Catalunya.
David Moyes admitted that he wanted to wrap up a transfer before the team left on Wednesday to start their pre-season tour but that now looks unlikely.
Typically in the past, United have done their business early in the window to give the new players as long as possible to settle like we did with Kagawa and Powell last year, who were both unveiled in the first press conference of the summer but it seems that United could be in for a long summer of waiting.
“The way the transfer window works, I think things might be done a little bit later in some cases this year,” Moyes said.
“There are quite a few new managers in. I don’t think everything will be done right away. But if you had the ideal position, you’d get your players in as soon as you could.”
The Thiago saga has already been going on for a few weeks but it seems that Thiago’s dad and agent Mazinho doesn’t even know what is going on with his son right now, so it certainly looks like this one could drag on for a while longer.
- The real reason behind Manchester United’s struggles is beyond David Moyes’ control December 6th | by samp
- La Liga’s best central midfielder this season honoured by Manchester United interest December 6th | by samp
- This Anderson deal would make no sense for Manchester United December 6th | by samp
- Representative of Brazil’s Player of the Year confirms United talks have begun December 5th | by samp
- Scholes believes it is time Cleverley improved and feels Moyes will buy in January if necessary December 5th | by samp