Man City vs Man United: Matchday Thread

Fred's turning into Gerson, well in my dreams anyway. Anyone under 60 if you don't know who he is check out the 1970 World Cup winning team when Gerson bossed the engine room so Pele and Jairzinho could go and play. Mc T was immense again today. Best United display this season for me

THE BASTARD

Reserves Newbie
Fred's turning into Gerson, well in my dreams anyway. Anyone under 60 if you don't know who he is check out the 1970 World Cup winning team when Gerson bossed the engine room so Pele and Jairzinho could go and play. Mc T was immense again today. Best United display this season for me
Didnt know you was a coffin dodger like me and Bert General;)

THE BASTARD

Reserves Newbie
Completely neutralized Sterling. Even that tackle in the middle of the box, I though that was going in for sure, but out the left comes Spider Wan and wins the ball without fear
You know what? I hardly noticed.:oops: Fair play to him he's a tremendous tackler.

Here's a couple of testimonials borrowed from Wikipedia to one of Brazils greatest midfielders and the guy who I hope Fred morfs into

Gérson de Oliveira Nunes

Gérson is considered one of the best passers in World Cup history. Although he didn't play well in 1966, he was the mastermind behind the whole Brazilian national team in the 1970 tournament. He is regarded as the best passer and midfielder in that edition of that World Cup, in that Brazilian squad, and the best player in the 4–1 victory against Italy in the final. Overall, he played 70 times for Brazil, scoring 14 goals for his country, including one in that 1970 World Cup final.

Style of play
Although Gérson played as a holding midfielder, Jonathan Wilson noted in a 2013 article for The Guardian that he was an early example of a more creative interpreter of this role, who focussed more on ball retention and passing rather than solely looking to win back possession. A tactically intelligent, efficient, and technically gifted midfield playmaker, he was considered the "brain" behind the Brazilian squad that won the 1970 World Cup. He was known for his ability to retain possession and dictate the tempo of his team's play in midfield with his precise passing, and was also capable of switching from defence to attack by playing sudden, accurate long balls to his meet his teammates' runs; he is regarded as one of the best passers in the history of the sport, and as one of Brazil's greatest ever players. He also possessed an excellent positional sense, and a powerful shot with his left foot, which earned him the nickname Canhotinha de Ouro ("Golden left foot," in Portuguese)

He only played one game in 1966 and that was against Hungary at Goodison. It was 1-1 at HT but the Hungarians came out and scored a couple of goals within the space of 10-15 minutes and that was that.