Man United 2-1 Tottenham: Matchday Thread

Who will take the 3 points tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cal

Reserves Regular
Ole's Red Devils face off in a polarizing game vs Ex United Manager Jose Mourino. Many believe this game to be one of Ole's, and certainly Mourino's defining games in their respective careers at their clubs.
Mourino wanting to prove himself as a manager returning to his old club to beat them in their own grounds. And Ole fighting for his job, and to prove that he can lead United during the hardest times in the club's recent history.
Spurs will be looking to plug their defensive woes as they have yet to win a clean sheet in the PL since mid September. United will be looking to get consistency in their lacking midfield, amid injury worries of Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay. Ole will have to prove he has the tactical ability to win the important games, against tough opponents.

Cal

Reserves Regular
Im prepared for a shitstorm. But here comes my stubborn HOPEFULNESS

Its important to mention that Spurs have conceded 2 goals in all games since Jose took the helm, but have still won all of them. This spells a huge defensive leak, that I believe with the speed of James, Rashford, and Greenwood we could potentially punish them for.

As a distant admirer of Spurs (I cant help but like their play-style, and because fuck Chelsea) I know that during Pochetino's time, they consistently played their second half the strongest. But now during Jose's management have conceded 4 out of 6 goals during their last 20 minutes of play.

This tells me Jose will most likely throw in fresh defense and maybe a DM during the last 30 minutes in hopes to plug that.

What Ole should be doing tonight is play the counter attacking football we've gotten good at since he took over. I almost expect (and part of me wants) to see 3 CB and the FB moved up to the midfield.
Spur's strength seems to be the wing consisting of Son, and consistently Dele Alli who is back in great form (good to see) these two WILL target Lindelof and AWB as their side seem to be often targeted.
If I was in Ole's shoes, I would swap Lindelof with Mcguire, and have a Fred+Mcguire harassment session on Alli. The likes of Herrera and Hazard.

Im expecting to see Shaw at the other end, vs Moura or Sissoko, Moura being the threat here as he's very good at finding net, and an underdog in my opinion, but he's older, and tires easily.
Our midfield is key here. Im hoping for a Hail Mary today, and seeing a pairing of Fred, Mctominay, and maybe a Pogba appearance towards the end of the game. Ole NEEDS to get one set of fresh legs at the attacking end at the 60th minute. Greenwood for Martial I think, or Greenwood for Dan James. Let Mason be the babe faced assassin he so much wants him to be.

Sam

Manager
Staff member
Hoping for the best but 100% preparing for the worst. That’s my feeling going into the game

Cal

Reserves Regular
I have a similar feeling to the last Chelsea game. Many thought we'd lose, many more thought we'd tie. But we pulled through as we tend to do during these tough/important games. The boys seem to really want these wins.

Cal

Reserves Regular
Rumors going on since last night that tony might miss the game because of "injury' last Sunday. No official source as I can find. This could mean a start for Greenwood or Lingard. Dont know how to feel about that.

leonieboer

Staff member
Often find that games like these, where the build up is all doom and gloom, actually tend to go quite well for United. Got a feeling that we'll see a very different Utd compared with that we saw on Sunday. Spurs rarely perform well at Old Trafford, too. Even that 3-0 win last season only came after Lukaku had missed a golden chance to make it 1-0. A draw the most likely outcome.

Cal

Reserves Regular
Better start than expected. Let's hape second hald is just as good, hope to see some subs at the 60th minute. Lingard, young?

Betty

Assistant Manager
Staff member
Better start by far but where's the killer instinct? How many leads will we squander this season? Mason has only touched the ball once I think. But they're there for the taking ... let's go!!