Watford 2 Man United 0: Matchday Thread

Another massive disappointment today. Don't know how long this is going to go on for. DeGea needs to be dropped, his form has been abysmal since he got his new contract and it's time to give Romero some game time in the league.

Rebelred

Academy Star
Harry Maguire's interview regarding Lingards miss definitely smells of trouble in the camp. Lingard should not be playing for Salford never mind Man United. A snowflake who really should be wearing a balaclava along with his United jersey. A player who is all about his image and nothing about his football, how he still gets picked I don't know, just shows the lack of quality we have and hopefully with Pogba back we dont have to see like anymore. Move him on in January. #Deadwood!

gio_m123

Reserves Regular
Absolutely shocking today, struggled to get through the whole game!
17 shots vs Watford's 11
8 shots on target vs Watford's 3
64% possession vs Watford's 36%
We had chances to win the game but looked like a championship side out there today. Lingard actually taking the Lingardinho meme too far and dinking the ball as if he's been in prime Ronaldinho form, just put it either side of Foster mate, basic finishing 101.
As for Ole, you know what, people say he's got no plan B. Maybe he doesn't. But plan B or no plan B, you should not be down 2-0 to bottom of the league today. Granted, two individual errors cost us today, gutted for Dave and especially AWB who's been so good. But that performance is down to the players. Not good enough :( so so frustrating after beating City and Spurs.

Good to see Paul back, my God I've missed him.

gio_m123

Reserves Regular
Harry Maguire's interview regarding Lingards miss definitely smells of trouble in the camp. Lingard should not be playing for Salford never mind Man United. A snowflake who really should be wearing a balaclava along with his United jersey. A player who is all about his image and nothing about his football, how he still gets picked I don't know, just shows the lack of quality we have and hopefully with Pogba back we dont have to see like anymore. Move him on in January. #Deadwood!
I'll have to watch that :oops:

Rebelred

Academy Star
Another massive disappointment today. Don't know how long this is going to go on for. DeGea needs to be dropped, his form has been abysmal since he got his new contract and it's time to give Romero some game time in the league.
Terrible mistake GW, he tried to catch the ball when he should have palmed it out but dropping him, not having that. There was at least 6 other players who were worse than him, just his mistakes are highlighted.

Rebelred

Academy Star
I think today highlighted how much we need a proven number 9 in the team. Hopefully Haaland joins but as Roy Keane said last month, we're Man Utd just buy Harry Kane.

gio_m123

Reserves Regular
I've just been googling online looking at various reactions, and a lot of people want Ole out after that loss. Main reasons:

1) He selects the starting XI, and it's just not good enough
2) Tactically out of his depth

Now my issue with that is, and please anyone on this chat who is Ole out, I'd really love to get your thoughts on this:

1) What other starting XI should he play? Midfield options consist of Mata, Matic, Pereira, followed by the academy graduates. Please give me a midfield who you think is better than Fred, McTominay and Lingard/Pogba against teams playing a low block.

2) What other tactics should he initiate against low blocks? In my opinion, he's got ZERO other personnel to be able to play another formation. I will only judge Solskjaer on tactics once he has more quality signings at his disposal, a striker who can play with his back to goal and a clinical finisher (e.g. Haaland) and 1 or 2 creative midfielders to help provide service to that striker.

3) Do you really think Poch would've done a better job with that team at his disposal today? Imo, I don't think he would have. That whole team bottled it today. But yeah I'd love to hear your opinion :)

Rebelred

Academy Star
Gio, I've been saying for a long time, that this is the shite that Ole has inherited. We have an attacking 3 that are based on speed and if there is no space there, their speed is nullified. In the middle third today we were passing the ball around nonchalantly but to the pass to break through to the final third wasnt there till pogba came on.
I agree with you Poch or any change in tactics wont change trying to beat a low block unless you try what Lampard did today and play a proper 3-4-3 but then your picking formations to suit teams you are playing against. Problem with all these formations is that 10 yards either way is a 3-4-3 becomes a 5-4-1. Are United playing a 4-2-3-1 or are they playing a 4-5-1, which by the way was Fergies formation of choice when away from home in big euro games. At home it was always 4-4-2. Formations have been sexied up ( is that a word?) in the last 10 years but if you play 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 3-4-3 you are playing with one striker and 2 wingers no matter what wat you dress it up. Man utds best days were always with 2 strikers and 2 wingers, 4-4-2. How about this for a front 6, mc tominay holding midfielder,Pogba attacking midfielder, rashford and james on wings, greenwood and martial up front. Ditch the 3rd midfielder against low block teams.

gio_m123

Reserves Regular
Great points. I think playing 2 up front would help as well but one thing with that is would you throw an 18 year old into these games? I just think it's too much pressure on him, which is why I didn't want lukaku to go. We needed that extra striker

Gio, I've been saying for a long time, that this is the shite that Ole has inherited. We have an attacking 3 that are based on speed and if there is no space there, their speed is nullified. In the middle third today we were passing the ball around nonchalantly but to the pass to break through to the final third wasnt there till pogba came on.
I agree with you Poch or any change in tactics wont change trying to beat a low block unless you try what Lampard did today and play a proper 3-4-3 but then your picking formations to suit teams you are playing against. Problem with all these formations is that 10 yards either way is a 3-4-3 becomes a 5-4-1. Are United playing a 4-2-3-1 or are they playing a 4-5-1, which by the way was Fergies formation of choice when away from home in big euro games. At home it was always 4-4-2. Formations have been sexied up ( is that a word?) in the last 10 years but if you play 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 3-4-3 you are playing with one striker and 2 wingers no matter what wat you dress it up. Man utds best days were always with 2 strikers and 2 wingers, 4-4-2. How about this for a front 6, mc tominay holding midfielder,Pogba attacking midfielder, rashford and james on wings, greenwood and martial up front. Ditch the 3rd midfielder against low block teams.
Sounds easy doesnt it. But you have to look at the coaching, or rather the possible lack of it. And the management and selection/ tactics angle. For me i feel there's gulf in respect from the players towards the manager and coaching staff. Absolutely convinced of it.
I see clear and obvious similarities to the Van Gaal and Jose tenures in the way we play.

There's a clear lack of leadership on the pitch. No one is communicating, nobody driving us on. They all individually look like they are waiting for somebody else to do something special. They are not playing for the manager or the coaching staff, they are playing for themselves. And that is exactly what we have to get away from.

Pep has no hesitation subbing off the likes of Aguero or De Bruyne if theyre not performing, Klopp the same with the Dirties. Thats how you command respect. Making big decisions. Its not a popularity contest, its about letting the team know that you are not afraid to make them big decisions. Does anyone think any of the players actually liked Fergie when he was in charge. They hated him with a passion. But they all admit in hindsight that he got the best out of them. Because that was his job.

We are so far away from that now it is frightening. There's practically no competition for places, and the players know it.
I think also what isnt helping is that the players see Ole as a mouth piece for Woodward. I dont think there is much, if any respect for him because he is there because he was a legend player, not because he has a track record of managerial experience. Maybe there is case for the players to feel that the club has let them down a little. Its a difficult one to call.

One thing is for sure, this can not continue.

Rebelred

Academy Star
Great points. I think playing 2 up front would help as well but one thing with that is would you throw an 18 year old into these games? I just think it's too much pressure on him, which is why I didn't want lukaku to go. We needed that extra striker
Definitely need another striker and regarding greenwood at 18, hes the only out and out no 9 we have. A situation created by Woodward, from selling Lukaku too late. We are a team who base ourselves on speed, counter attacking play, getting early crosses into the box but our problem is we dont have anyone in the box to score. I would love a haaland type player to join and have rashford and james peppering him with crosses.

Definitely need another striker and regarding greenwood at 18, hes the only out and out no 9 we have. A situation created by Woodward, from selling Lukaku too late. We are a team who base ourselves on speed, counter attacking play, getting early crosses into the box but our problem is we dont have anyone in the box to score. I would love a haaland type player to join and have rashford and james peppering him with crosses.
We've no wing backs either. AWB isn't great going forward and Shaw is even worse. In fact, I'd rather play Ashley Young on the left instead of Shaw.

Cal

Reserves Captain
Gutted after that loss. Lingard should stop training with the first team. And should be dropped for a good while. That mistake cost us the game in my opinion as it would have snowballed into a big win.

Why Ole didnt sub him out for Pogba first, and then Martial for Greenwood, is beyond me.
Martial was also poor, giving up every time he lost the ball.

Mctominay also didnt perform, Fred was consistent, but hard to be a CDM and CAM at the same time.

If United know that they're a counter attacking team. Why the fuck are we trying to hold possession? Let the other team hold the damn ball, and punish them on the counter for their mistakes.

We let Watford, the slowest team in the league, dictate the tempo for the match, DESPITE them having less possession than we did.
This reeks of lack of discipline, and experience for the squad. They play at the other team's tempo,made huge mistakes, and we lost for it.