Published on July 10th, 2013 | by samp3
Manchester United send youthful 22 man squad on tour
Manchester United have announced the squad for their 2013 tour of Asia.
19 players will initially make the trip that will see the squad play in Thailand, Australia and Japan.
It is a very youthful squad with Adnan Januzaj getting on his first tour and Michael Keane and Jesse Lingard getting on their second consecutive tours.
Here’s the squad in full: Lindegaard, Amos, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Fabio, Buttner, Jones, Keane, Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs, Zaha, Lingard, Januzaj, Welbeck, Rooney
David De Gea, Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa have all been granted extra time off so will join the tour at a later date, while Javier Hernandez has been given time off after his busy summer.
But there is a whole host of first team players missing. Nani isn’t going on tour because of a nose operation which is hardly an indication of commitment while the likes of Young, Smalling, Valencia, Powell and Vidic are all going to be absent.
Vidic’s absence is probably part of his rehabilitation as the mileage would place his knee under a lot of stress.
As for Powell, Smalling and Young, they obviously haven’t recovered from their respective injuries but Valencia’s absence is strange.
The tour gets underway this Saturday as United take on a Singha All-stars team in Bangkok (2pm GMT kick off).
- PICTURE: Moyes spotted in Spain on scouting mission as Koke interest increases December 11th | by samp
- Lawrenson: I contacted Moyes about Van Persie and he’s cool about it December 11th | by samp
- Wesley Sneijder responds to rumours he’ll move to Manchester United in January December 11th | by samp
- The reasons why Van Persie may want to leave Manchester United December 11th | by samp
- Jones: I’ll play anywhere as long as I’m playing for Manchester United December 11th | by samp