Published on March 8th, 2013 | by samp4
Sneijder confirms talks with Ferguson and Manchester United
Wesley Sneijder has admitted that he had held talks with Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United about a proposed transfer move in the past that fell through because of Inter Milan’s asking price.
The 28-year-old, nominee for the coveted 2010 Ballon d’Or, had been strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford in line with directly replacing Paul Scholes but the move never fully materialised.
Sneijder finally left Inter Milan after almost two years of speculation but it was a move that surprised many after he joined Turkish side Galatasaray.
“We had some talks with Alex Ferguson back in 2010.
“They contacted the club after our Treble season but too much money was asked for. And I was also happy at Inter so I decided to stay.
“Manchester United are a fantastic club and they kept showing interest after that year but not as determined as before.”
By the time Sneijder made his move to Galatasaray, it was a relief to finally see the longest transfer saga in history drawn to a close and United fans were happy to see him move elsewhere. According to the player, he wanted to move to United after we offered £17 million for him but Inter Milan rejected it.
Sneijder has made six appearances and scored once for Galatasaray so far in his career and will be happy to be playing Champions League football once again. It might have been a fall from grace since 2010 for the Dutchman but he is still unquestionably talented. Did United miss not signing Sneijder?
Midfield maestro Kagawa was who United chose to sign and judging from his hat-trick against Norwich last week, he is starting to find his feet in the Premier League. A good decision for all parties I’d argue.
- U19s: Manchester United 1-1 Shakhtar Donetsk: Misery for youngsters in Europe December 9th | by GirlOnUtd
- Ribeiro: I would fit in any midfield position at Manchester United December 9th | by samp
- Manchester United vs Shakhtar Donetsk – Predicted XI: Kagawa in for Januzaj December 9th | by Tom Newbold
- Match Preview: Manchester United vs Shakhtar Donetsk – Undefeated and undeterred December 9th | by Tom Parker
- U19s CONFIRMED LINE-UP: Manchester United vs Shakhtar Donetsk – Janko and Goss start December 9th | by samp