Loan Round Up: Powell gets hit (literally) while Henriquez hits the headlines

by Tracey Germaine

Jesse Lingard (Birmingham City) – Lingard had a quiet first half against Bolton Wanderers. However, even with opportunities few and far between, he worked hard for his team. Came more into his own in the second half making some good runs at the Bolton defence. Overall, didn’t have as much involvement as the fans or he would have liked but played the full match as Bolton ran out 2-1 winners.

Angelo Henriquez (Real Zaragoza) – Henriquez started Zaragoza’s six goal thriller against Mallorca. There was lots of early pressure from Zaragoza and they finally took the lead after 35 minutes. Moments later Henriquez doubled the score with a slotted goal at the end of a counter-attack.

Not long after, he scored again from inside the box to put some distance between the teams, which was fortunate because Zaragoza were reduced to ten men before the break. In the second half Henriquez gave away a penalty when he handled the ball and was then booked for his protests. He was subbed off not long after in the 65th minute. Zaragoza won the match 4-2.

Nick Powell (Wigan Athletic) – After his great performance mid-week in the Europa League, Powell was back in action for Wigan against Blackburn Rovers as they won 2-1. Powell, although not amongst the goals, was involved in the other major incident in the game. He pressed and harried Grant Hanley in the Rovers defence. The defender passed the ball to a team mate and then punched Powell on the back of the head, knocking him to the ground. Hanley was shown a straight red. He had more shots as the game wore on but they were all easily saved.

Ryan Tunnicliffe (Ipswich Town) – Tunnicliffe started for Ipswich Town as they took on Sheffield Wednesday.  He was involved in setting up Town’s first goal with a perfectly weighted pass to David McGoldrick who put the ball across the penalty area for Anderson to slot home. Wednesday equalised soon after.

Tunnicliffe linked up well with Luke Hyam and threaded the ball through the opposition defence to McGoldrick, but Chris Kirkland was quick off his line to deny the Blues. Tunnicliffe later did some superb defensive covering which denied Wednesday went on the counter attack. At one point, he ran 50 yards across the pitch to make an extremely important challenge. The game ended in a draw with Tunnicliffe completing the 90 minutes.

Federico Macheda (Doncaster Rovers) – Macheda played 74 minutes of Doncaster Rovers’ 1-0 victory over Leicester City. Kiko had a chance to put Rovers in front after 15 minutes but slipped as he was taking the shot and it went wide. Rovers had a chance to extend their lead after a good cross into the box but Macheda was judged to be offside. He was replaced by Coppinger in the 74th minute.

Bébé (Paços de Ferreira) – Bébé played the full match as Paços took on Pandurii Targu-Jiu in the Europa League. On 20 minutes, Manuel José crossed into Bébé in the box but his right-footed effort was blocked. Around ten minutes later, he had a shot blocked from outside the box.

Almost helped Paços equalise just before the break by crossing into Jean Seri but his shot was blocked. Continued in the same attacking vein in the second half but the keeper saved another attempt on goal. Despite his best efforts, he couldn’t get a winning goal for Paços with the Pandurii defence blocking another of his shots.

He was in action again this weekend in the league as Paços took on Gil Vicente. He didn’t have his best match and was subbed off after 73 minutes. Paços lost 2-1.

Marnick Vermijl (NEC Nijmegen) – Marnick Vermijl recovered from the foot injury he picked up in NEC’s last match to start against Go Ahead Eagles. He was involved in an early chance to give NEC the lead after squeezing through the Eagles defence but his shot was weak. Unfortunately things went downhill from there with NEC letting in three goals in the opening 30 minutes. They fought back in the second half to level the score but let in a late own goal to lose the match 4-3.

Davide Petrucci (Royal Antwerp) – Davide Petrucci seems to have fallen out of favour at Royal Antwerp. He came on in the 86th minute to replace Guvenc who has been in a fine vein of form recently. Royal Antwerp drew 1-1 with Sint Truiden.

Kieran O’Hara (Trafford) – 17-year-old O’Hara was behind the sticks for the third game in a row. Trafford went behind just after just 11 minutes when Greg Smith drove the ball past O’Hara. Jamie McGhee tried to double the lead almost immediately but O’Hara was equal to his volley. Grantham got their second after half-time when Rhys Lewis popped up at the near post to slot past O’Hara.

Latest Top Stories...