Home » Loan Round Up: Powell and Tunnicliffe are becoming the Championship’s champions

Loan Round Up: Powell and Tunnicliffe are becoming the Championship’s champions

by Tracey Germaine

Will Keane (Wigan Athletic) – Will was on the bench when Wigan’s match against Sheffield Wednesday was abandoned.

For the other game this eek, Will started on the bench when Wigan took on Reading but came on at half time to replace Nick Powell. Will had a chance to open his account at Wigan on the hour mark but his right footed shot in the six yard box was saved. Reading pulled a goal back as they came more into the match. Will had another chance with around four minutes of normal time remaining as he drove forwards but his right footed shot went just narrowly wide. The game ended in a 2-1 win for Wigan.

Nick Powell (Wigan Athletic) – Powell started for Wigan in their midweek fixture against Sheffield Wednesday. Wigan were leading 1-0 when the referee abandoned the match due to the conditions in the 59th minute. The fixture will be rearranged for a later date.

“I felt that when you have so much water on the pitch that Nick Powell can’t convert a one-on-one with the keeper because the ball’s stuck in the water, I think the referee didn’t have a chance but to call it off.” – Uwe Rosler

Powell played 45 minutes against Reading in what will be counted at his 14th consecutive league start [the abandoned match isn’t included]. Wigan took the lead in the 10th minute when James McClean’s blocked shot came back to him and he then passed to team mate McCann on the edge of the area, who scored.

Within two minutes Powell had doubled the lead. He took advantage of a mix up in Reading’s defence and slotted home with his 7th goal of the season. He was replaced by fellow United loanee Will Keane at half time.

Jesse Lingard (Birmingham City) – Lingard played 80 minutes of Birmingham’s 0-0 draw with Nottingham Forest. Birmingham enjoyed more of the good play in the game, which included an impressive performance from Lingard, but they failed to capitalise upon several good chances.

Lingard played the ball into Tom Adeyemi with just 11 minutes on the clock but his shot when wide. Lingard then had a chance himself in the 20th minute but his header from the corner went over the crossbar. Forest conceded a freekick which Lingard took but Kyle Bartley’s header was cleared by the keeper. Zigic headed the ball to Lingard but his right footed shot was blocked. He was subbed off in the 80th minute and soon after Forest were down to ten men but the Blues were unable to exploit their numerical advantage.

Tyler Blackett (Blackpool) – Blackett was an unused substitute in Blackpool’s 2-1 loss to Burnley.

Michael Keane (Derby County) – Michael started on the bench for Derby but was brought on in the 25th minute to replace captain Richard Keogh who suffered a knee injury. He had a chance to score from a set-piece but his header just missed the top right hand corner. Soon after Derby doubled their sescond. Then Doncaster came back into the match when Derby’s Buxton scored an own goal but Derby went on to score their third goal to secure a 3-1 win.

Federico Macheda (Doncaster Rovers) – Kiko started the game against Derby on the bench. He was brought on in the 41st minute to replace Chris Brown who was injured. Derby were two goals in front by the 50th minute. However, in the 64th minute pressure from Kiko and Robinson forced Buxton to put the ball in his own net when trying to deal with a cross.

Soon after Kiko was did well down the inside left channel but when it came to having an effort on goal he was put under pressure and fired wide. Kiko and Duffy linked up well but Duffy’s eventual shot went wide. Derby scored another goal 13 minutes from time and Rovers lost 3-1.

Ryan Tunnicliffe (Ipswich Town) – Tunnicliffe  played the full match in Ipswich’s draw with Watford. He was once again playing in a three-man midfield and put in a good performance which improved further in the second half. Ipswich took the lead in the 73rd minute from the penalty spot but Watford equalised in the 81st minute and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Ben Amos (Carlisle United) – Amos started for Carlisle as they took on Walsall away from home and conceded after 15 minutes. Meppen-Walter and O’Hanlon were caught on their heels when Sawyers went one on one with an advancing Amos, and the striker was able to slide the ball underneath the keeper.

The Cumbrians had only themselves to blame when they were left exposed at the back as they committed men forward. A crossfield pass went to Milan Lalkovic and took out the defence before sending the ball into the roof of the net. The match ended in a 2-0  loss for Carlisle, but it is only their first defeat of the month.

Tom Lawrence (Carlisle United) – Lawrence played the full match as Carlisle lost 2-0 to Walsall. Carlisle made loud appeals for a penalty when Lawrence was fouled in the box but the referee waved play on. Lawrence had wriggled into the box when Butler threw out a leg. He had a freekick from long range that was blocked as the Cumbrians knocked on the door. With around ten minutes left to play Lawrence had another effort this time a right footed shot from outside the box which was saved.

Image: Twitter/utdindonesiaSBY

Latest Top Stories...