Everton Ribeiro has played down the prospect of moving to Manchester United in January by insisting he can’t leave Cruzeiro if ‘nothing concrete comes up’.
The 24-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford since being named the Brazilian League Player of the Year and has admitted he’d choose a move to United over Real Madrid.
Now, it looks like he is trying his best to make United or any other club who want to sign him that they need to make an offer as soon as possible rather than wait around.
A couple of weeks ago, Ribeiro deflected questions linking him with a move to United and now he has insisted his focus is on Cruzeiro’s Copa Libertadores.
“I can’t say that I’m leaving if nothing concrete comes up,” he told Lancenet.
“My focus is here in Cruzeiro. The Libertadores is already knocking on our door (Cruzeiro’s first game is scheduled to February 12), we have to be well prepared for this competition.”
Earlier this week, Cruzeiro insisted that only a substantial bid would be good enough to lure Ribeiro away from Brazil and now their football director Alexandre Mattos has confirmed that no official offer had been received.
He said: “We have nothing official, just a few questions about his availability and loads of talk.
“Some new names from Ukraine and Qatar have showed up, but no official document. That’s not just the case for Everton, but for many of our players.”
Ribeiro has talked up a move to United at every opportunity and is now seemingly trying to make the interest increase gather pace. Although, it does look like even if United were to come in that Ribeiro wouldn’t want a move until the summer because of the Copa Libertadores which, in reality, could suit United.
Thanks to Daniel Lopes Sant’Anna for the translation. Visit Old Trafford Brasil here.