Manchester United have denied any interest in a move for Porto defender Bruno Martins Indi after the centre-back was the next in a long line of defenders to be linked with a move this month.
Reports linking Martins Indi and Man United emerged on Tuesday in media outlet Record and it isn’t the first time as the Dutchman was heavily linked after the World Cup.
Van Gaal made Martins Indi a key part of his World Cup squad and impressive performances earned him a move to Porto. Fellow centre-back Stefan de Vrij was also linked in the summer before he joined Lazio.
However, The Times’ James Ducker reports that United have denied all interest in Martins Indi, as they did earlier this week with Valencia’s Nicolas Otamendi.
Told United are not after Bruno Martins Indi #mufc
— James Ducker (@DuckerTheTimes) January 20, 2015
Whilst United have been only too happy to leak information to the press, the Otamendi denials make sense given Valencia rejected a £27m bid from an unnamed club, although Spanish journalist Gullem Balague is adamant the bid was from United.
Martins Indi is left-footed and given United signed Marcos Rojo in the summer, a player Van Gaal says is ‘fixed’ in his line-up, it seems unlikely Van Gaal would target another left-footed centre-back for his starting XI give his desire for balance in the back line.