PSV Eindhoven defender Hector Moreno has opened up about his visit to Luke Shaw in hospital earlier this month.
Manchester United’s Shaw was in Holland until Saturday after undergoing two surgeries on the double broken leg he sustained as a result of Moreno’s challenge in the Champions League.
The full-back is expected to miss the vast majority of the season because of the injury but has already started his recovery having returned to Manchester.
Moreno, who himself broke his leg during the World Cup last year, revealed the details of his visit.
“What happened to Shaw was very unfortunate. I was just in shock. I’m glad I was able to go speak to him. I went with [PSV boss] Phillip Cocu to the hospital,” Moreno said.
“That was very difficult at the beginning, but he was very kind to me and didn’t blame me. He had seen the images and said it was part of football. That made me smile.”
It is encouraging to see Shaw willing to forgive and forget, despite the horrific nature of the injury. Moreno’s challenge was far from orthodox, as replays showed him going into the tackle with both feet off the ground before his trailing leg caught the 20-year-old.
The Englishman will now want to put the incident behind him and look forward to his return to action. It will be a long road to recovery but Shaw’s mindset seems to be positive at the moment. United fans will be eager for their full-back to get back on the pitch as soon as possible and he has the support of everyone at the club.