U18s: Manchester United 0-4 Liverpool

by Tracey Germaine

Manchester United were looking for their third win in a row in the U18s Barclays Northern Premier League. However, Liverpool came away with all three points at the Aon Training Complex with a 4-0 win thanks to goals from Trent Alexander-Arnold, Paulo Alves, and Corey Whelan.

United played a high pressing line in the opening stages of the first half. However there weren’t many chances created by United. Zach Dearnley came closest in the 20th minute. His shot from outside the box hit the inside of the far post but unfortunately it bounced out.

The visitors took the lead in the 26th minute. Moments before Oliver Byrne had been involved in fantastic goalkeeping. Coming out of his goal quickly he tipped the ball away from the oncoming Liverpool attacker. However, a subsequent short goal-kick to Tosin Kehinde created unnecessary danger. Kehinde lost possession and the ball made it’s way to Alexander-Arnold who beat Byrne on his near post.

Conceding that goal seemed to unsettle United with the passing becoming quite loose. In a rare situation, two players picked up bookings in the first 45 minutes. Byrne was booked after he came out of his area, taking down a Liverpool player. Unsurprisingly, Gribbin picked up a yellow card. His frustration was obvious in his play, with him having to continually drop deep to get on the ball. The referee gave him a talking to after a show of dissent and when he came in with a late challenge later in the half he was cautioned.

Liverpool doubled their lead in the 64th minute. After a bit of twisting and turning, Alves took on a speculative shot from distance which surprisingly made its way past Byrne. With 25 minutes remaining United tried to press forward. Charlie Scott saw an effort from distance cut away from goal. Rashford hit the bar as the pressure started to pile on.

However, disaster struck United’s comeback attempts when Byrne received his second yellow card for a challenge, after he charged out of his penalty area, in similar circumstances to his first yellow in the first half. Callum Whelan made way so Dorrington could come on for the final minutes. However, Liverpool extended their lead from the freekick awarded from the sending off. The ball found Corey Whelan at the back post and Dorrington was helpless to prevent the goal. A minute later Alexander-Arnold scored his second guaranteeing the victory for Liverpool.

Manchester United: Byrne (sent off 76′), Warren, Tuanzebe, Williams (c), Scott, Whelan (Dorrington 77′), Kehinde, Fosu-Mensah, Dearnley, Gribbin, Rashford.
Unused Substitutes: Dunne, Kenyon, Boonen.
Booking(s): Byrne (x 2), Gribbin.

Liverpool: George, Lewis, Johnston, Parker, Whelan, Phillips, Alexander-Arnold, Coyle (Dobie 82′), Woodburn, Alves (Dhanda 69′), Ejaria.
Unused Substitutes: Owens, Wheeler, Brimmer.
Goal(s): Alexander-Arnold (26′) (79′), Alves (64′), Whelan (78′).
Booking(s): Coyle.

Latest Top Stories...