Three Manchester United players have been named on the shortlist for the European Golden Boy award.
Luke Shaw, Anthony Martial and Adnan Januzaj have all been shortlisted for the award, which aims to recognise the best player in Europe under the age of 21. It is a huge honour for the youngsters to receive a nomination as it gives them an indication of how well they are doing at their club.
Shaw, in particular, will be delighted to be shortlisted. The left-back hasn’t played in almost two months following his horrific double leg break in the Champions League against PSV and seeing his name on the list will definitely boost his confidence as he focuses on his rehabilitation.
Anthony Martial‘s name being on the list is no surprise, given the start he has had to his Man United career. The Frenchman already has five goals to his name and has already proven his class on numerous occasions. Martial has been a revelation since joining from Monaco on transfer deadline day and the most expensive teenager in the world’s place on the list is certainly justified.
Adnan Januzaj is, perhaps, a surprise given the season he is currently having. Having broken onto the scene under David Moyes, the Belgian’s potential is undeniable. However, he has fallen out of favour with Louis van Gaal and is currently on loan at Borussia Dortmund. He is struggling to get games in Germany as well and will be hoping he gets the opportunity to prove himself and show his manager that he has a future at United.
It would be brialliant for United if one of their youngsters were to win the award. A club with a huge history of developing young players, United have been coming under criticism lately for failing to adhere to their old philosophies. If one of the three shortlisted was to win, it would be a huge statement that the club are still developing some great young footballers.
You can see the full list here:
– Nathan Ake (20 / Watford / ENG)
– Dele Alli (19 / Tottenham / ENG)
– Marco Asensio (19 / Espanyol / Real Madrid / ESP)
– Zakaria Bakkali (19 / Valencia / BEL)
– Hector Bellerin (20 / Arsenal / ENG)
– Kingsley Coman (19 / Bayern Munich / FRA)
– Angel Correa (20 / Atletico Madrid / ARG)
– Dahoud Mahmoud (19 / Borussia M’gladbach / ALE)
– Danilo Barbosa (20 / Valencia / BRA)
– Jason Denayer (20 / Galatasaray, Manchester City / BEL)
– Anwar El Ghazi (20 / Ajax Amsterdam / NED)
– Munir El Haddadi (20 / FC Barcelona / ESP)
– Francisco Rodriguez (20 / Wolfsburg / SUI)
– Goncalo Guedes (18 / Benfica / POR)
– Alen Halilovic (19 / Sporting Gijon FC Barcelona / CRO)
– Hojberg Pierre-Emile (20 / Schalke 04 / DIN)
– Jordon Ibe (19 / Liverpool / ENG)
– Kelechi Iheanacho (19 / Manchester City / NIG)
– Adnan Januzaj (20 / Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United / BEL)
– Ricardo Kishna (20 / Lazio / HOL)
– Ruben Loftus-Cheek (19 / Chelsea / ENG)
– Nemanja Maksimovic (20 / Astana / SER)
– Anthony Martial (19 / Manchester United / FRA)
– Max Meyer (20 / Schalke 04 / ALE)
– Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (20 / Lazio / SER)
– Divock Origi (20 / Liverpool / BEL)
– Mario Pasalic (20 / AS Monaco, Chelsea / CRO)
– Gaston Pereiro (20 / PSV Eindhoven / URU)
– Marko Pajca (20 / Dinamo Zagreb / CRO)
– Adrien Rabiot (20 / Paris SG / FRA)
– Alessio Romagnoli (20 / AC Milan / ITA)
– Ruben Neves (18 / Porto / POR)
– Sandro Ramirez (20 / FC Barcelona / ESP)
– Luke Shaw (20 / Manchester United / ENG)
– Moses Simon (20 / La Gantoise / NIG)
– Youri Tielemans (18 / RSC Anderlecht / BEL)
– Adama Traore (19 / Aston Villa / ENG)
– Adama Traore (20 / AS Monaco / MAL)
– Tonny Vilhena (20 / Feyenoord / HOL)
– Andrija Zivkovic (19 / Partizan Belgrade / SER)