Paris St Germain owner Nasser Al-Khelaifi has confirmed Laurent Blanc will remain in charge next year, ruling out a move for Jose Mourinho this summer.
Previous reports said Mourinho had been approached by PSG over replacing Blanc following their exit from the UEFA Champions League at the hands of Manchester City.
There aren’t many clubs who could make a bid for Mourinho this summer and with PSG putting themselves out of the running, it makes his potential move to Manchester United all the more likely.
“The contract was extended for two years [in February], he will stay with us next year,” Al-Kelaifi said.
“When we lose, we lose, it is a collective responsibility.
“It was very important for us to win the Coupe de la Ligue after our elimination against Manchester City.
“These last two weeks have been very difficult. This award will allow us to breathe.”
Portuguese newspaper Jornal de Noticias had their own front page splash on Saturday saying Mourinho has signed a contract with Man United which has only helped intensify the speculation which is continuing to mount week-on-week.
United’s brilliant FA Cup semi-final win over Everton has done little to change the popular opinion van Gaal is leaving and with PSG now out of the picture, United look even more likely to get the deal done.