Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has defended Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea after allegations linked him in a sexual abuse case.
Spanish newspaper El Diario published alleged court documents on Friday evening, which named the Spaniard and Athletic Bilbao forward Iker Muniain in relation to an ongoing case involving pornography businessman Ignacio Allende Fernandez.
He denied having any involvement after allegations emerged and insists he will still play a part in Spain’s Euro 2016 campaign while his lawyers handle the case.
Speaking about De Gea, Del Bosque insists he will remain in the squad, but didn’t confirm if he would start ahead of Iker Casillas.
“I think De Gea has given the explanations he needed to, and he’s left it clear that he had nothing to do with it all,” he said.
“He said it as well to the whole squad. We all had a meeting, and the kid, with sincerity and tranquillity, gave his explanation that he had nothing to do with it.
“Everything that happens in life, you have to give it a spin and turn it around. We are in a period of reflection, and you have to spin it around.
“I can’t say at the moment if he will start or not.”
The witness claimed the encounter had been arranged by de Gea, according to the police report published by El Diario, but he was quick to dismiss these stories.
De Gea was expected to be Spain’s first-choice goalkeeper at Euro 2016 after serving under Iker Casillas at the 2014 World Cup. He’s had a spectacular season at Old Trafford and was named United’s Player of the Season for the third consecutive year last month.
It’s good to hear Del Bosque never had any intentions of sending De Gea home from the squad’s Saint-Martin-de-Ré training base in France because he’s been incredible for Man United this season and absolutely deserves to start in-between the sticks for Spain.