Borussia Dortmund chief Hans-Joachim Watzke has confirmed they have received an improved offer from Manchester United for Henrikh Mkhitaryan and a decision on whether to sell him will be made this weekend.
Following an announcement from Dortmund that Mkhitaryan wouldn’t be renewing his contract past 2017, Man United have been attempting to push through a deal quickly in order to make the Armenian winger Jose Mourinho‘s second signing.
Dortmund do not want to sell Mkhitaryan but speaking to German newspaper Der Westen, Watzke revealed an improved offer had been received which has forced Dortmund to consider selling him.
“At some point we assess this conclusively and because we start training on Monday, we will make it at the weekend,” Watzke said.
“We now have a different starting position, Manchester United’s offer has significantly improved. With such a decision we have to adhere to several strict aspects.”
German outlet Ruhr Nahtrichten says that United’s offer will be in the region of €40m and for a player whose contract runs out next summer, seeing Dortmund perform a U-turn won’t come as too much of a surprise especially when you consider they could bring back Mario Gotze for just half of that fee.
In terms of a player suited to the system Mourinho is building, Mkhitaryan will slot in perfectly as a right-winger which our current squad simply doesn’t have. Juan Mata played there so often last year and although Jesse Lingard did well at times, least not in the FA Cup final, Mkhitaryan would be a brilliant signing.
At this stage, it simply seems like the only hurdle is finding a fee which Dortmund agree with and once that is out of the way, Mkhitaryan can complete his move to United.