Home ยป Jose Mourinho: Various Manchester United players will be sold this summer

Jose Mourinho: Various Manchester United players will be sold this summer

by Leo Nieboer


Jose Mourinho has stated he intends to let some Manchester United players leave this summer.

The 53-year-old’s comments came after his side’s 4-1 pre-season defeat to Borussia Dortmund in Shanghai on Friday night, where he noted that his current 25-man squad will continue to undergo a number of changes.

It was reported earlier this month that Mourinho intends to reduce his first team squad to just 23 players, in an attempt to create a cohesive, tight knit side with maximal collective understanding.

Speaking after the game, Mourinho noted that more changes are set to take place.

“Obviously we have players here with us who won’t be part of the squad in the future,” he said.

It has already been widely reported James Wilson, Tyler Blackett and James Wilson are set to leave the club this summer. However, it would be no surprise to see a number of lukewarm, bit-part squad members also suffer at the hand of Mourinho’s guillotine.

One name that springs to mind is Marcos Rojo, who has failed to endear himself to supporters during his two year stay at the club. His disjointed performance against Dortmund prompted many United fans into calling for the defender to be sold. It has also been rumoured that Daley Blind – a player who doesn’t fit Mourinho’s conception of a centre half or central midfielder – could be on his way out.

It will take some time for Mourinho to form his desired squad and style. It is, as a certain Dutchman always said, a process. And this process inevitably includes the axing of a number of players.

Latest Top Stories...