Duncan Castles has stayed relatively quiet through this transfer window so far but he piped up on Wednesday evening with his own update on Manchester United target Fabinho.
Castles, well known for being the mouthpiece of Jorge Mendes who of course represents Jose Mourinho among many others, says Paris St Germain are close to finalising a deal for Fabinho and he’ll be moving to a rival in France rather than across the pond to Manchester to join United.
This is not the first time PSG have had their name thrown in the hat with Fabinho as Gianluca di Marzio last week said they were interested in signing the 23-year-old, although he did say this in the same article where he said United were close to signing Fabinho for €50m.
What should we make of this latest update which once again goes against the grain of what has generally been reported? Well, I don’t think we can simply dismiss Castles given his ties with Mendes. He wouldn’t have popped up with this piece out of nowhere which is of course a worry. However, there’s not much been too much said in the French media about AS Monaco letting one of their best players join a rival and it’s not something they are expected to want to do.
United’s pursuit of Fabinho has been unnecessarily painful after the Brazilian midfielder himself made it abundantly clear he’d like to play for United and Mourinho but we’ve dithered, we’ve had our focus elsewhere and it’s led to this situation. I am still confident we can secure a deal for Fabinho but the continuous ups and downs of the transfer window are making it a bit exhausting now because we were all hoping a deal would be finalised this week. Alas, we might have to wait a bit longer.