With less than two weeks left of what has been a reasonably quiet and frustrating transfer window for Manchester United, it doesn’t look like Jose Mourinho will secure all of the targets he initially wanted.
It was always known that Man United were going to have to strengthen their squad this summer if they are to provide a closer title challenge to rivals Manchester City in the 2018-19 season, but that hasn’t quite happened yet.
Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred arrived for £52m at the start of the window and has been the club’s only major signing of the summer, before young FC Porto right-back Diogo Dalot and Stoke City goalkeeper Lee Grant followed him in joining.
Dalot is certainly one for the future, while Grant was bought for the sole reason of allowing Joel Pereira a loan move for experience, so Mourinho is right to be unhappy with what the club has managed to do so far.
Duncan Castles has told The Sunday People that the United manager wanted six positions being reinforced including in midfield and at right-back – they’ve been addressed – but also the central defence, right wing, left-back and up front.
Alex Sandro has been targeted but nothing has materialised over Juventus’ valuation of the player, while the club have failed to lure any names from Mourinho’s right-sided attacker shortlist including Inter Milan’s Ivan Perisic and Chelsea’s Willian.
Mourinho said after United’s 4-1 defeat to Liverpool on Saturday night that he wanted five signings, so a back-up striker for Romelu Lukaku may not have been a big wish, but he’s still currently short of what he wants.
It seems like a central defender will be signed before the deadline, but that could very well be it.