With Anthony Martial not yet back in training but Cristiano Ronaldo heavily involved, we expect the Portuguese legend to lead the line for United at Brentford on Saturday.
Last time out Ronaldo was short of match fitness so manager Erik ten Hag started the game playing Christian Eriksen in a false 9 position, an experiment that was not very successful.
As a result, it seems more than likely that the system will be changed.
United also looked shaky defensively against Brighton so the manager could mix things up on the back line as well.
Shaw was subbed in the Brighton game although that could have been due to tiredness after having been ill earlier in the week.
If Ronaldo does start up front, Eriksen could move to a number six role as he did in the second half against Brighton to great effect.
In either case it would be a very attacking line-up but the manager was never afraid to play without defensive midfielders during his time at Ajax.
James Garner is another, more defensive option.
With David de Gea making up the XI in goal, this then is our predicted line-up for Saturday’s game:
United Matchday Magazine – the online football programme
Panic stations already. A statement of intent needed. How will Ten Hag respond? The season must truly start on Saturday. Get your Brentford matchday mag now!
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- The mag gives you all the news, facts and features you NEED before every game
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy now for just £1.25/$1.50
- Limited time offer: SAVE 33% on a season pass – use discount code SEASON33 at checkout.