Manchester United new boy Casemiro has been confirmed as the next wearer of the number eighteen jersey.
United fans will be hoping that the 18 gives Casemiro has the same good fortune as it gave Fernandes when he first joined the club.
The Portuguese turned United’s fortunes around when he signed in January 2020.
One could draw a parallel to Casemiro’s current situation already, with the five-time Champions League winner taking on a defensive midfield role previously staffed by Scott McTominay and Nemanja Matic.
Whether he can be as much of a catalyst as Fernandes was remains to be seen, although he certainly arrives with greater pedigree.
Casemiro is also taking on a number the wearers of which have both captained the club in competitive fixtures.
Young held the number for the best part of a decade, but before him there was the most famous wearer of the eighteen.
Paul Scholes, the ginger ninja, wore the eighteen from 1996 to 2011.
He wore it playing off the front man, he wore it playing box to box and he wore it as a midfield conductor. He wore it very well.
If Casemiro can come close to his success as an eighteen, Old Trafford will be a very happy place indeed.
United Matchday Magazine – the online football programme
Can Ten Hag’s army win their next battle on the south coast? Get the Southampton edition of the Matchday Magazine, out now!
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- Prepare for the game with our preview, team news and tactical analysis
- Get carefully selected news, transfer news, intelligent opinion and humour
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy now for just £1.25/$1.50
- Limited time offer: SAVE 33% on a season pass – use discount code SEASON33 at checkout.