Frenkie de Jong will reportedly stay at FC Barcelona this summer.
According to Didac Peyret (Sport), the Catalan club do not expect any last-minute moves for De Jong despite keen interest from Manchester United and Chelsea.
The 25 year old has been Erik, ten Hag’s number one transfer target this summer.
United struck an agreement with Barcelona for around €73 million in July but could not convince the player for the transfer.
De Jong did not want a move without getting the €17 million owed to him by Barca in deferred wages.
The La Liga giants took to the court to prove De Jong’s new contract fraudulent, resulting in a tense few days of negotiations between the player’s agents and the club.
De Jong and his wife are said to be happy in Spain and do not see a reason for moving elsewhere.
The absence of Champions League football at Old Trafford could be another reason why De Jong is reluctant to move.
Barcelona has always been the Dutchman’s dream club, and he is optimistic about the newly assembled team under Xavi.
It does seem like the 25 year old will remain at Barcelona this summer, as per the report.
Ten Hag will have to wait another season before having another crack at getting his man.
United have opted to go for the more out-and-out defensive option in Casemiro, and it will be interesting to see how he fits into the manager’s elegant style of play.
United Matchday Magazine – the online football programme
D-Day. Vardy’s party. Arteta’s vendetta. United can crash them all in one week. Get your special DOUBLE issue of the United Matchday Magazine NOW.
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- Prepare for the game with our preview, team news and tactical analysis
- Get carefully selected news, transfer news, intelligent opinion and humour
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy the double issue now for just £2.00/$2.35
- Limited time offer: SAVE 33% on a season pass – use discount code SEASON33 at checkout.