Frenkie de Jong is set to stay in FC Barcelona this summer.
Fabrizio Romano has confirmed it in his latest tweet:
“Frenkie de Jong stays at Barcelona. No doubts — he never changed his mind.”
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) September 1, 2022
The 25 year old has been Erik ten Hag’s number one target this summer.
Before signing Casemiro, the boss viewed him as the solution to United’s midfield crisis.
Ten Hag was prepared to wait until the window’s final days to get his man, but the player has decided to stay at Barcelona.
United agreed on a fee worth €73 million with Barca in July.
De Jong, however, was said to be reluctant a move away from his dream club.
Also, the La Liga giants owed him €17 million in deferred wages, which he was unwilling to give up.
He and his wife are happy in Spain, and despite substantial interest from United and Chelsea, the player kept his firm stance.
Given the coach’s admiration for De Jong, United could try and sign him this January or next summer.
De Jong has not yet agreed to reduce his salary, so it will be interesting to see which of the two parties budges first.
United Matchday Magazine – the online football programme
D-Day. Vardy’s party. Arteta’s vendetta. United can crash them all in one week. Get your special DOUBLE issue of the United Matchday Magazine NOW.
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- Prepare for the game with our preview, team news and tactical analysis
- Get carefully selected news, transfer news, intelligent opinion and humour
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy the double issue now for just £2.00/$2.35
- Limited time offer: SAVE 33% on a season pass – use discount code SEASON33 at checkout.