Erik ten Hag opened up the floor for Manchester United’s players to criticise each other in an explosive dressing room meeting yesterday.
That is according to Steven Railston of the Manchester Evening News, who anticipates a number of changes for the Red Devils in their next Premier League encounter.
Their next clash comes on Thursday evening against Omonia Nicosia in the Europa League group stage.
In that fixture, United are expected to play a second string, but with their up and down league form, Ten Hag is likely to re-evaluate his strongest eleven against the Toffees.
As reported by Railston, Monday’s inquest into the 6-3 derby day defeat led to an open exchange of analysis among the playing staff.
Just how critical United’s stars were to each other is unknown at this stage.
What is almost certain is that the party line used in front of the media will not have gone over well in the cold light of day.
A number of stars – as well as Ten Hag himself – cited a lack of belief as a key factor behind United’s first half collapse.
However given this side came into the game off the back of a four game Premier League winning streak that included unlikely victories over Liverpool and Arsenal, that is unlikely to have washed with United fans.
Poor performances from the likes of Scott McTominay, Diogo Dalot and Tyrell Malacia should not undermine their fantastic form this season.
But it certainly does open the door for Ten Hag to ring in the changes on Sunday.
Against Omonia we may gain in insight into the Dutchman’s thinking, with players likely to be rested ahead of the trip to Goodison Park.
- Get all the match build-up, articles, news, puzzles, nostalgia and humour
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- No ads, no clickbait, no fake news – just 100% pure United
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy for just £1.25/$1.50
- Limited time offer: SAVE £10 on a season pass – use discount code SEASON35 at checkout.