Manchester United will look to replace Cristiano Ronaldo with Brentford striker Ivan Toney should the Portuguese depart in January.
Toney has been lined up as a possible replacement and has many admirers at Old Trafford.
A report recently emerged that indicated Brentford were set to offer their star man a new bumper deal with prohibitive clauses aimed at warding off United’s interest.
However, according to The Sun, the Red Devils are still keeping tabs on the Englishman.
Ronaldo is still intent on leaving in January, with his likely destination either being Chelsea or Real Madrid.
Calciomercato reports via The Sun, “Manchester United are monitoring Toney’s situation ahead of a potential approach.”
“It comes amid interest from a host of Prem sides, with United joined by Leeds, Newcastle and West Ham in the race to acquire his signature.”
“He remains one of Thomas Frank’s key players on the pitch as they look to secure Premier League safety for a second successive campaign.”
The 26-year-old has been in fine form this season.
In the nine times he has featured for the Bees this campaign, Toney has netted six times and assisted twice. This earned him a first England call-up, handed to him by Gareth Southgate.
Toney would undoubtedly be a welcome addition to Erik ten Hag’s team. It is an open secret that the club requires a dangerous goalscorer to share the starting number nine berth with Anthony Martial.
However, with his contract expiring in 2025, Thomas Frank’s side are likely to demand an enormous fee to part with Toney’s services.
- Get all the match build-up, articles, news, puzzles, nostalgia and humour
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- No ads, no clickbait, no fake news – just 100% pure United
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy for just £1.25/$1.50
- Limited time offer: SAVE £10 on a season pass – use discount code SEASON35 at checkout.