Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is considering selling Harry Maguire and Fred next summer.
According to Jamie Jackson (The Guardian), Ten Hag views the United captain’s lack of pace as an issue in the long run.
He would like to add better competition for Raphael Varane.
Maguire has not had the best eighteen months.
The 29 year old has been heavily criticised for his below-par performances for United.
His silly mistakes cost United plenty of games last season, mainly due to poor decision-making.
He has been replaced by Lisandro Martinez in the team, and the difference in the team’s performance is staggering.
Fred, on the other hand, has had mixed performances.
While one can clearly appreciate his work rate and tenacity, his careless passing has led to United conceding plenty of goals.
Ten Hag wants his side to retain possession and dominate the midfield, which is not one of Fred’s biggest strengths.
United have the option to extend his contract, but it is not expected to be triggered.
We earlier reported how Ten Hag could opt to sign another midfielder next season, with names like Jude Bellingham, Frenkie de Jong, Bruno Guimaraes and Declan Rice being mentioned.
- Get all the match build-up, articles, news, puzzles, nostalgia and humour
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- No ads, no clickbait, no fake news – just 100% pure United
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview or go to unitedmatchmag.com to see more or buy for just £1.25/$1.50